Thursday, July 2, 2009

wowee Malawi


Every year our church goes to Malawi Africa and helps build shallows wells for drinking water. I would love to go;but I'll be in school. I think if I was retired, or if they went in the summer I would be there in a heartbeat. Today I'm going to help my pastor put together a powerpoint to help get people interested in going. If you google Malawi shallow wells you will see some amazing photos and videos. Today I watched a video of a woman with a baby strapped to her back by a piece of fabric climb down into a hole, scoop water with a 5 gallon bucket, lift the bucket onto her head and climb back out of the hole. When she got to the top her piece of fabric started to come untied-so she just left the bucket up there balancing on her head while she tied her sarong back up, turned and smiled at the camera and took off walking on her hike back home. Things like this are amazing to me, and here I am complaining that our washing machine doesn't work-pretty sure they don't even know what a washing machine is. If you read this, take the time out of your day to do something by hand just to remember that there are wayyy less fortunate people than us, and they thank God everyday for the blessing they have. Let's all say MMMM the next time we take a drink of faucet water.

No comments:

Post a Comment