Friday, May 29, 2009

intimate allies


So I have been reading this book called Intimate Allies. I thought our pastor recommended it, but turns out he recommended one called Intimate Enemies. Anyway, this book is written by a Christian author and basically refers to the bible and gives examples of real people in an attempt to explain how to have a happy marriage. At first I didn't agree with it, then I read more and totally agreed-and Craig can vouch because while I was reading I would intermitently look over at him and just nod my head in agreement. Now I am a little further in the book and to be honest I'm kinda confused. It's telling me how hard marriage is, duh, but in the end it's all worth the companionship. Then it's telling me the curse on women to be lonely in marriage because of Eve's sin in the garden of Eden. It describes men and women in this way, women are relational, they find comfort in relationships, and men are comfortable in success. So then all the rumors are true of men and women being opposites and from different planets. I wonder how, without children, a man and woman can be truly happy within their marriage, when it's just the two of them. I know I have friends and family and such, but I want to be truly happy with just Craig. The book also tells me, if you are getting married to complete yourself you are wrong. I'm almost done with this book and I'm going to ask my pastor to read it and explain some things in real life terms. The best thing about this book is the examples-because every example is exactly like mine and Craig's relationship to some degree. Soon I will be reading the one my pastor actually recommended and see what it has to offer.
Tomorrow is Craig's cousin's baby shower and I get to visit with everyone for a while. This ought to satisfy my loneliness for awhile!
Tomorrow is also our first summer home meet for swimming, wicsh us luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the swim meet. Happy reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...
    I think that it is possible to be truly happy with your spouse. I think that the period of dating is where you develop a strong bond that is united by marriage. Through your marriage, with kids or not, you have to have the communication to let the other know how you feel, what you want or need, and what is or isn't working.
    I know that I was told that men want to feel respected and women want to feel loved, so what men need is different then what we need. If you are able to recognize this, you can make adjustments to meet each others needs and not treat them how you want to be treated. You will also be able to grow together without being lonely, or feeling the need to fill the void with something else!
    Good luck with the swim meet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard a good message at church today since it was pentacost. "Leave your fear at the door and let God handle it." And that, people, is why I go to church-I feel a question is answered every Sunday. Why can't everyday be Sunday?

    ReplyDelete